Friday, January 22, 2010

Working hard

Grace and I have been working hard on weaning the for the last few days. That's why you haven't heard much from me. My apologies if I should have gotten back to you about something, or if I've been out of touch for too long. I've really had to put everything else aside for the last few days and focus on Grace.

The good news is that it is going well. She's been night weaned three nights now and not too much fussing about it. I wish I would have given it a shot earlier, but I was afraid. The first night was tough, but since then, she hasn't been very upset about it. She wakes up now and then, but often puts herself back to sleep quickly. I've occasionally had to go in and reassure her, and that usually gets her back to sleep within minutes. Whew! I'm hoping she starts waking less frequently over time and is soon sleeping through.

The complete weaning is a different story. Today was the first day Grace did not breastfeed. I guess it didn't go that bad, but she did kick up quite a fuss at nap time today. I'm hoping the days will get progressively easier, just like it worked with night weaning. Grace has shown me this past week that she's a very fast learner, and I'm pretty sure she understands a lot of what I say. Although it was a tough day for both of us, she's doing great. She's also taking the cow's milk better and better. She'll only drink it cold, and from my glass, but I don't mind. She drank a lot today, asked for more, and even pointed at a milk carton in one of her books.

She's growing up! Hopefully this time next week she'll be on a good sleeping/eating schedule and my sleep deprivation is a thing of the past. Please, cross your fingers for me!


Lolimahro said...

Keeping fingers crossed! It looks like things are going really well - hope they continue to! ^_^

Man, I *never* thought I would get Dex to drink a glass of milk on his own, but now he loves it so much we spend almost 50K/month on milk alone!

It was really step-by-step, and we spent about a 5~7 days on each step: first drinking 1/2 milk, 1/2 formula, then drinking milk, then he would only drink while being held, then he would drink in his chair, but only if we were holding the cup...finally, he held it on his own! Whew! These days, a glass of milk is the cure for any ailment or complaint he has!

Alfee said...

Yeah, I couldnt believe it, but when I worked it out, formula was cheaper than cows milk. Thats nuts if I was in Australia. Anyways, I buy 4-5 litres every time I go to the shops, and it doesnt last a week. Guess thats about 6 litres a week for one little boy. 40,000 won a month. I'm trying to cut milk down a bit to twice a day, for sleeping.

I didnt know you were full weaning, I thought it was just for night time. But you lasted a long time, so good for you. And sounds like Grace is ready too.