Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lowering my expectations

After a three hour soothing marathon last night where Sejin and I tagged off several times, I was really frustrated. What am I doing wrong? She's tired enough (rubbing eyes, clawing ears, drooping eyelids, etc). I've been sticking to the routine. What could it be?

So I'm trying a different approach today. Swaddling is back in. Surprisingly, at almost 16 weeks, she seems to still like it. 20 minutes of soothing after bath and she's out. A fluke? No idea, but I'm going with it because I'm exhausted. I left one arm out so that she could suck her thumb if needed. Perhaps she just felt too exposed and not quite secure enough in her crib before. I know she's fairly comfortable in there because she can spend up to 1/2 hour in there during the day smiling and babbling at the bumpers, but there's something about falling asleep that is difficult for her. But hey -- she's not even four months old. Sometimes I think I have to lower my expectations!

Honestly, that expression "sleep like a baby" is waaaay off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think you're overthinking this. She's so young still. Face it, you're not going to get much sleep for the first year of her life, at LEAST. You need to relax a bit. :)

Mi Hee said...

Hi, I just wanted to tell you how comforting it was to have found your blog. My son is 12 weeks old and it took me a while to get into a sleeping routine as well. But he's been sleeping through the night since a week (I breastfeed at 10.30pm and then he sleeps till 6.30am, sometimes wakes up once but no crying/feeding. I put his soother in and he falls asleep again). I found Gina Ford's (contented little baby book) routine quite helpful although I'm using it only loosely.

Mi Hee (Dutch/Korean, 31yrs)