Friday, April 2, 2010

Knitting creatively

I went to the mommy knitting meet-up in Itaewon today. It was so nice to get out on my own and do something totally for me. I saw some friends and met some new ones. I even showed a friend how to do the knit stitch and she seems to be well on her way to becoming a knitter.

I've been thinking a lot lately about my own talents and abilities and how I can work them into my future. I really want to incorporate them, but this would require a lot of work and creativity in itself. You see, I don't think I am a very creative person. People say to me all the time, "You're so creative. You make all these things..." Yes, I make them, but I follow pre-written, pre-tested patterns, often to the very last stitch, which is actually a very logical, left-brain exercise. Knitting does not necessarily require creativity. It requires patience and the ability to follow detailed instructions. I think perfectionists make good knitters.

There's nothing wrong with how I approach knitting, but I've been feeling lately that I'm a bit like a robot knitter, often adding nothing personal to my work, fearing to venture outside the pattern. I'd really like the change that. I'm not saying I'd necessarily like to become a pattern designer, because I don't know if that is attainable, but I'd like to branch out a bit and be a little more creative.

I don't know everything about knitting yet, so in the future, I'm going to try to choose patterns that either challenge me to learn a completely new skill and grow as a knitter (like fair isle, something I've been afraid to try), or abandon patterns altogether and see what I come up with. I have been thinking lately that combining knitting and sewing, or knitting and crochet might be a good place to start. Let's see if I can do this. I'll set a realistic goal and say that sometime in 2010, I should knit at least one thing that is purely a product of my own creativity.

2 comments:

MommyCha said...

You are amazing and I understand what you mean about following a pattern not being creative. The fact that you are still able to "create" with a pattern does make you "creative"! ^.~
Maybe you should start a business of knitting for sale, you allow them to pick a pattern and colour and you knit it. Charge however much you feel it is worth,and then add 10%! ^^
Thank you so much for your help, you are amazing!

Sarah said...

Thank you. Perhaps I'm too hard on myself. I think I'm just feeling the need to branch out a bit. I think there would be more gratification in finishing something that I thought up AND knit.