Friday, April 23, 2010

Is something wrong with me?

Sometimes I wonder that. Why is it I can sit for hours looking at antique and vintage knitting patterns? This activity would probably be regarded by most as the most boring thing in the world, but I just can't stop. The worst part about it is that I do not have the time to waste. I am barely keeping up with writing, both Grace and I have a cold, the apartment is a mess, and I'm looking at online scans of books from the 19th century.


This is simply amazing: the antique knitting pattern library. I love clicking randomly on a book and seeing the original scans. It's amazing that women used to make so many things. While it's nice that women don't have to do these things anymore, it does kind of make one sad to think that almost everything we use is mass-produced. It seems most people do not appreciate the care that goes into making something anymore.

Some other links of interest:

-1884 knitted lace sample book. An antique book collector found a number of newspaper clippings glued into the back of an old book. They contain patterns for lace edgings and insertions. She is knitting and charting each one.

-Home Work (1891). This is where I found the smyrna edging I knit and is pictured in my previous post. The garment I was making did not work out. I picked up stitches along the edge of the edging and knit a couple inches in stockinette. I could tell two things: A) it wasn't going to be big enough for Grace, and B) I was using a ridiculous technique for such a garment. But I had an epiphany while I was knitting. The only way I could knit off an edging for something like that would be to do a provisional cast on, knit the edging to the desired circumference, graft the two edges together to make a continuous round edging. Then, pick up stitches with a circular needle and knit up in the round. I don't regret the time spent on the garment because if I had not attempted it, I would not have had that epiphany. Now that I know what I have to do, I have to finally order a Denise Interchangeable Set, as I've been talking about for so long.

-Free Vintage Knitting is always fun to browse for the photos, if anything.

-Here are some great old crochet patterns.

Well, work to do now.

1 comment:

MommyCha said...

At least your internet surfing is productive! You gain inspiration and skills, mine on the other hand wastes time and fills my head with useless knowledge! >.<
I find it relaxing and beneficial to zone out from the stress of being a working mother by surfing the net. Nothing wrong with that, you're just looking for a break! HUGS!