Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The glass is 1/8 full

...instead of 7/8 empty. I finished book 1 of 8 today, although I still have to type it out. That will be an all-afternoon job for tomorrow.

I'm really glad I made the decision NOT to buy a laptop to do this project. I go to the cafe with only my paper, pens, and reference materials and I have nothing to distract me at all. I don't bring my knitting or mp3 player. I sometimes bring my camera, but only take the odd shot on my way to and from the cafe. I'm kind of proud of myself for being so hard on myself. I am getting to know my strengths and weaknesses and how to deal with them. I'm far too distracted by the internet these days, so it's best not to have that available to me at all when it's time to work.

Why is it so hard for me to focus on this work? My theory is that I'm thoroughly sick of anything ESL related. A career in ESL is definitely not in my future.

4 comments:

Lolimahro said...

Haha, I know what you mean by being distracted by the internet. Here I am, supposed to be writing a novel (in my defense, I have less than 10,000 words to go, and I've already broken my limit for today, but that's neither here nor there, since I might write 0 words tomorrow and thus be over 1600 short...) and I'm perusing Blogger!

I find that I write best by hand in a coffee shop, a Kimbap Cheonguk, a public restroom, or pretty much anywhere but a PC room, which is where I am right now. >.<

Lolimahro said...

P.S. - Here's to achieving our goals!

Sarah said...

Danielle, you lost me at public restroom!! hahaha.....

Your accomplishment is actually better than mine, because you don't HAVE to write that novel....it's something you want to do and you're doing it. I bound by contract to write 8 books in a short period of time and I STILL have trouble motivating myself!

Amanda said...

Nanowrimo? I just passed 49K myself.

Sarah, good luck. Writing a textbook sounds boring. Although I think I'd have fun writing some sort of text/workbook for gifted ed.